Thursday, December 1, 2011

Shut my Lips (James 1:19-20)

   "So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow the wrath;for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God." (James 1:19-20)

   Imagine the one who is the opposite of this exhortation "Slow to hear, swift to speak, swift to wrath." (sounds like a typical American tourist, but I digress). What can be said about verse 19 is this--don't be foolish. For is it not the man who doesn't listen, and arrogantly speaks his mind without regard to the people around him, is this man not a fool? We've all found those type of people among our lives, reverent respect is far from them and they pride themselves on articulating their views, though their voices usually annoy the ears of those among them.

   Now, before we go on spotting out specks in others' eyes, lets then check our own eyes for planks. We have to be honest and ask ourselves "Am I the one who prides himself in answering every remark, or the one who is so impatient that he does not listen to his quiet and wise brethren beside him. Am I the man described in Proverbs 10:19 "In the multitude of words sin is not lacking" O God give me grace to be the one described in the second half of the verse "But he who restrains his lips is wise."

   Look at our Savior whom "opened not His mouth" (Isaiah 53:7) and He did "not cry out nor raise His voice, nor cause His voice to be heard in the streets." (Isaiah 42:2) Is it not the whole Christian life but "to be conformed to the image of His Son" (Romans 8:29) and is it not true that "He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk as He walked." And how did Jesus walk, you might ask? Well: "A bruised reed He will not break, and smoking flax He will not quench" (Isaiah 42:3) "Be slow to wrath," (James 1:19) Does this describe my life, do I cut down with my tongue, those who have been bruised by the world, Satan, and maybe even  their own whims and sins; do I throw out those smoking flax that has not oil and quench the Holy Spirit with their backsliding; well I do everyday in my heart, in my mind, and that is just as bad. Yet Christ! He gently lifts the bent reed of its shame, and applies more oil to the stinky flax. Oh, that I may become like Him, thus fulfilling one of the loftiest commandments of God's royal law: "love your neighbor as yourself."

Application: More often than I probably notice myself doing it, I find myself talking when I could be the humble one listening to others and to be gentle "slow to wrath, for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God." I need to pray for the Holy Spirit to help me shut my lips and still my tongue, and thus be more like Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment